AmCham Center for Training and Development
This program aims to improve the business writing skills of participants through review of the basics such as grammar rules, tenses, words often confused, etc., discussion of common errors in English correspondences, the planning steps in writing, and the principles of effective writing, including the guidelines.
Several exercises will be given to the participants to ensure that they apply and remember what will be discussed in the seminar.
Days before the start of the seminar, the participants will be given a topic to write about. Each participant will submit his or her write-up, both hard and soft copies, to the Coordinator two days before the seminar. The write-up will be critiqued on Day 2.
PART 1 - Basic English Review
- Parts of Speech
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Tenses of Verb
- Words Often Confused
- Common Errors (The common errors in business correspondences as compiled by the resource speaker will be discussed.)
- E-mail Etiquette
- Business Letters
- American English vs. British English
- Sentence (Dangling Participle, Sentence Unity, Uniformity of Construction)
PART 2 - Effective Business Writing
- Characteristics of Business Writing
- How to Start
- Six Planning Steps
- Seven Principles of Effective Writing, Including Guidelines (Completeness, Conciseness, Consideration, Concreteness, Clarity, Courtesy, Correctness)
- Exercises : Review of Assignments (Critique)